8mm to 1cm question

Discuss all things ear stretching

by Starryeyed » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:11 pm

Hi everyone,

My ear is currently at 8mm and i'm looking to go to 10mm.

When stretching my ear before, I have always used tapers, pushing it through as much as I could stand each day, I'd have the taper in for about a week before it went up 2mm.

I have recently started a new job and cannot walk around with a big taper sticking out my ear lol.

My question is, have I been doing it right? Are you supposed to leave it in that long? I can't go up 2mm over a weekend can I?

Just looking for some advice and guidance. As I don't want to muck my ear up.

Any help is much appreciated :)
Starryeyed

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 pm

You really shouldn't be stretching that way... Wearing tapers in fresh stretches isn't really safe, and if the taper won't go all the way in at once your ear isn't ready to stretch. When you leave a taper partly in like that, the back of your ear can shrink around the smaller part, forcing it to stretch more than it should.
Your best bet is to use in-between sizes. There's plenty of 9mm jewelry out there... you can try bodyartforms.com, bodyjewelleryshop.com, and other places.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by sh4ky » Wed Oct 24, 2012 8:32 pm

Agree with what Lindsay said. Sounds like you need to read up on safe stretching, here, Internet, anywhere you find it as your method is not!

The other way you can go about this stretch is to use tape, either bondage or PFTE (plumbers tape). A couple of wraps around your 8mm single flare jewellery every few days/week (depending in what your body tells you) gradually increasing layers until you can fit your 10mm jewellery in. I prefer to leave it a week between adding layers as my ears aren't the stretchiest.
Clever got me this far, then tricky got me in

Piercings:
Left lobe- 00g first hole, 2g second hole
Right lobe- 0g
Right helix rim- 14g x3 around top
Right brow- 14g x 2
And others ;-) retired
sh4ky

by akPhilly » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:56 am

Yeah,tapers can be a bit confusing,because it seems logical that you'd be able to just leave it in as far as it'll go,doing it a little at a time,but they're not meant for that.It can be cumbersome anyway,having a straight taper in your ear,especially sticking out like that.Sometimes when they'll only go in partway & stop like that a hot shower is all it takes to get it all the way in in one shot & the plug after.I myself stopped using them after a 00 because I'm not too steady handed & find them too difficult to use,& sometimes if you just get glass plugs that are just 1mm bigger than your current size,they'll pop right in after a shower,no taper needed.Like everyone's saying,it's easy enough to find 9mm 00g plugs,or tape.But if you're going to tape,I highly,highly recommend using bondage tape over ptfe/teflon tape.Some seem to have success w/the ptfe,but personally,I thought it was horrible.It scrunches up real easily,& even though it seems smooth,it's not very slippery.Bondage tape is slippery,& slides in & out easily.Plus it's just easier to use because it doesn't scrunch up like ptfe does.When I tried ptfe tape,I used 1 wrap(and that stuff's so thin I doubt it even really changed the size)on fully healed ears,& there was so hard to get in,& even harder to get out.When I finally did get it out,the tape was pink.I think it causes friction or something,& irritated me big time.A guy at the piercing place I go to recommended the bondage tape to me-he'd had the same thing happen w/the ptfe,& actually alot do.Not to say it'd happen to you,some are ok w/it,but w/bondage tape being more slippery & easier to use,it's like,why not use it.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion