How difficult is it really to insert double flared styles?

Discuss all things ear stretching

by akPhilly » Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:21 am

I've never tried double flared styles yet,& I've watched videos about it,& they say just put it in at an angle,but some of those flares seem to look like they're the difference of a size or so.So even if a person was at a size for awhile & their ears have loosened up a bit,it just looks really difficult.And I've heard of people getting them stuck in their ears because the hole shrinks around the middle part-that's what I'm really concerned about.There's quite a few styles I've seen that I really want,but they're expensive,& you can't return them once you've opened the package they come in.I guess a person could stretch up like,1mm or so,but then if your ears shrink around the center part,wouldn't they keep stretching & shrinking over & over?And it seems like the organic ones have an even bigger flare than the glass.Would getting one size smaller than you are make sense,or would your hole shrink down to a different size if you did that?
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

by mouse2cat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:14 pm

I am in the same boat as you, so I have done some asking around. As I understand it. Putting in double flares at a small size can be more challenging because you can't "button" them into your ear, and your ears need to be really healed. I am not buying double flares until I reach my goal size.

Also different pieces of jewelry have drastically different flare sizes. So if you can read reviews find a pair with smaller gentle flares to start out with. I was thinking about getting these https://www.bodyartforms.com/productdet ... uctID=7442

People who get them stuck in their ears often try and stretch with double flares. So if you wait until your ears are ready it shouldn't be a problem. And if it does get stuck, please don't panic. Take a hot shower and use some oil.

Buying a size smaller may not be a bad idea if the piece is described as having "very large flares" Just don't wear them exclusively or yes, your ears will shrink. (although taking the pressure off like that can be really good for the health of your ear) I just wouldn't go river rafting in a size smaller because they'd be more likely to fall out. On the other hand I have heard about people sanding down a flare if they are having trouble with it, or if they feel like the edges are sharp. You can test how much your ears will shrink by wearing no jewelry for an moderate interval of time.
mouse2cat

by akPhilly » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:49 am

LOL,your 'starter' df's are almost identical to the ones I was thinking of trying as my 1st df's-when I saw a link to BAF & you said the ones you want have a smaller back flare,I has wondered if the ones you picked were going to be the same or similar to the ones I'm thinking about,which are www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=7447
The reviews say they're easy to put in,& one reviewer even says she puts an o-ring just in case.But there's this one pair I'm DYING for:
www.bodyartforms.com/productdetails.asp?ProductID=8319. But they look like they have a big flare,& the reviewers say they're not easy to get in.I'd wait to get those anyway;I've only been at my current size for a very short time.But I'm thinking the glass may also work because they're only 12mm,while I'm closer to 12.5-13mm.I've thought about going to the piercing place near me when I get df's-they sell alot of the brands & styles BAF carries,& they'd be able to help me get them in,but it's the getting them out that's my main concern-I got a plug stuck once because it had teflon tape on it(HATE teflon tape!),only 1 layer,& it was not a good feeling,but I did panic & didn't think to get in the shower.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

by corazon_de_oro » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:55 am

The only double flares I've ever been able to put in are the ones with the ridge that are flat at the back (hard to explain, trying to find a picture of what I'm talking about). I've never been able to wear the ones that actually flare out and I'm at 00G!

Edit: I'm talking about plugs like the "flat flare" ones on this page: http://www.omericaorganic.com/wearing_style.php

I had a pair of glass plugs with flares like that and they were super easy to put in.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by mouse2cat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:36 pm

LOL they are very similar.

I wouldn't let a piercer insert a double flare for me. I need to be able to insert it and take it out on my own thank you very much.

The plugs you are in love with are beautiful and not toooo expensive. I would get a pair in your size. Give your ears some time, try it out and if it doesn't work $20 gets a second pair one size smaller. Also people can and do polish stone down a little with really fine sandpaper.
mouse2cat

by akPhilly » Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:12 am

Those flat df's are easier? I wouldn't have thought that-actually,I'd always assumed that they'd be one of the hardest to put in.
But i have heard about sanding down the stone;I've been trying to research how difficult it'd be to sand adventurine-I've seen people sand down stone,but I don't know how it compares in hardness to adventurine.I may just go w/those 12mm glass ones-I doubt that half to 1mm is going to be a big deal for me since it's smaller,but maybe I'll just use an o-ring if I don't feel they're secure.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos

akPhilly

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion