quick question about homemade plugs

Discuss all things ear stretching

by mmcjjc » Mon Sep 24, 2012 4:58 am

I've seen several people on the internet making custom plugs by pouring resin into steel tunnels. but i prefer them to be clear, as in, without the tunnel. but i've read that the craft resin used to make these plugs can be harmful to wear directly inside your ear. Like if you made the plugs using a mold instead of pouring the resin into a tunnel. my question is, can you do the same thing with clear tunnels? or do they absolutely have to be the steel ones to be safe?
mmcjjc

by akPhilly » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:26 am

I've done a bit of research on the subject,& I'm no scientist or doctor,but the conclusion I've come up with is that it'd probably be ok to wear them for short amounts of time,in fully healed ears only.Kind of like acrylic,ptfe,& polymer clays.Yeah they have chemicals in them that have proven to be harmful,but you're not ingesting it or inhaling any vapors from it.And while it may be possible for chemicals to leech out of it,it probably would have to be a larger amount to really do significant harm,& again,if you're wearing them for brief amounts of time in fully healed ears,you'd probably be ok.But if you're really concerned about it,it couldn't hurt to use the steel tunnels,& it'd probably be easier either way than trying to get it out of a mold.But if you'd rather have them be clear,I think you'd be ok.
AkPhilly,
Philadelphia,PA
3/4" (19mm) earlobes
14g industrial
12g tongue
7 tattoos
retired septum (though considering resurrecting it :),monroe,navel

WANT: both conchs,& microdermal,& more tattoos!
akPhilly

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion