Unusual situation (w/pic), story - update

Discuss all things ear stretching

by bradykay90 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:36 am

Dude your lobes look fine. And that thing on the 1st pic was just a shadow. But u need to slow it down just cause nothing bad has happened yet don't mean it won't.
My left lobe is 1/2" my right is 00g.
bradykay90

by Evlesoa » Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:50 am

bradykay90 wrote:Dude your lobes look fine. And that thing on the 1st pic was just a shadow. But u need to slow it down just cause nothing bad has happened yet don't mean it won't.

Yeah, I know... I monitor my ears closely though, so don't worry. I will know immediately if something doesn't feel right. I don't force anything through my ear, unlike some people. I USED to be able to do 2 layers a day, now I do only 1. However, if the plug falls out of in my sleep, I have to add another because it won't stay in my ear and slides out throughout the day :? I will wait a week or so and see how it does before taping up again since this is a new plug. I've been using the same crappy plug since 8mm.
Evlesoa

by mouse2cat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:20 pm

You are clearly going to walk your own path regardless of what advice anyone on the forum has for you. Since I am just "another random person" that you met on the internet.

Wrinkles are actually normal and a lot of people who stretched very very slowly have them. My comment was that your fistula seemed irritated and very pink. A healthy naked ear should not be that pink. You seem like you have been very fortunate so far but if you continue at this speed chances are you will encounter some serious issues. A little Russian Roulette if you will. Most people are not able to stretch as large as you have at that speed without encountering some serious damage. Because you were dermal punched (a bad idea: there are large gauge piercing needles that don't remove tissue) you may start encountering issues at a larger size.

That is your call and your risk to take, but please understand that you are putting yourself at risk and don't encourage other people to stretch the same way you have. I have seen one too many sad destroyed and ruined ears.
mouse2cat

by Evlesoa » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:31 pm

mouse2cat wrote:You are clearly going to walk your own path regardless of what advice anyone on the forum has for you. Since I am just "another random person" that you met on the internet.

Wrinkles are actually normal and a lot of people who stretched very very slowly have them. My comment was that your fistula seemed irritated and very pink. A healthy naked ear should not be that pink. You seem like you have been very fortunate so far but if you continue at this speed chances are you will encounter some serious issues. A little Russian Roulette if you will. Most people are not able to stretch as large as you have at that speed without encountering some serious damage. Because you were dermal punched (a bad idea: there are large gauge piercing needles that don't remove tissue) you may start encountering issues at a larger size.

That is your call and your risk to take, but please understand that you are putting yourself at risk and don't encourage other people to stretch the same way you have. I have seen one too many sad destroyed and ruined ears.

I totally understand what you are saying. I hear you, really. I wasn't sure about wrinkles, I actually do not know anything about wrinkles, so thanks for the insight. So here's question: how do I know if my fistula is irritated or not? It doesn't feel sore, doesn't hurt, doesn't bleed or ache or anything. Is it strictly colour? For example, I have a scar on my outer ear (due to an oven and hot cookies incident) and it's still red but has been the same bright red for over a year and a half. It "feels" healed, but still red.

Actually, I was thinking of getting it needled instead of dermal punched, but I thought: a needle forces your skin to rip (tear) rather than being cut out, is that correct? Isn't it just as bad as being dermal punched at the same size (say, a needle at 4g vs dermal)? This is why I was told it's easier to cut than to force a giant needle through the lobe. I have to say, I don't regret having 4g/2g dermal, but I wish they both were the same size. The skin won't grow back, it seems, until I get to my desired size. Then when I sleep without plugs, it might be able to regenerate some. Although what's gone, is unlikely to come back so easily. Who knows though.

Well, no, not completely. I don't ignore people's advice, I just think it doesn't apply to me because I've had no problems. Of course I don't know a lot about stretching, but I've been following my own self based on how I feel. If it feels OK, I do it. I just don't want to wait longer than needed if it "feels" healed. May be it is the wrong approach, but my experience has (thus far) said there's nothing wrong with how I've been doing it. Right now, I am planning to take a break for a week because my fistula is piss'd due to the SCRATCHING caused by the tape when inserting it into my lobe. It actually bled on the outer edge due to the tape. I will wait for it to completely heal before proceeding. Even though it has nothing to do with stretching itself, and is an external factor, I would like a healthy ear. Better not create scars, you know?

I posted on BAF regarding the topic of, "how can someone continue to stretch their ear, when their ear looks like it's about to fall off?" I was called a troll and my thread locked. It's pretty damn sad. All I know is this: I will never allow for my ear to get to the point where there is blood or pain.
Evlesoa

by mouse2cat » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:24 pm

True, a scar may still be pink but also healed. The trouble is that you really don't want the inside of your fistula to be a scar. The problem with scar tissue is that it is more brittle, less elastic, harder to stretch evenly and more problematic in general. If you are at your goal size then it may not really be an issue. I don't know what your goal size is, so I have no idea.

Another reason that it is good for you to take breaks between stretches is that by giving your ears a chance to loosen it reduces the pressure and increases blood circulation within your earlobe, good circulation is necessary for healing. That is why everyone says to take plugs out if there is a rip. While you may feel like you are getting good circulation around the thick bottom of the lobe the skin right up against your plug is still really tight. That is also why some people have ears that smell bad.

About the dermal punch. I was confused about large gauge piercing needles as well and apparently they cut a little crescent moon shape in your ear which looks totally fine with earrings in, sometimes when you see the naked ears the hole looks more like a line than a circle but that is the only difference. Whereas a dermal punch actually removes an entire circle of tissue. Generally the punches are more for a large gauge cartilage piercing. I am not entirely clear why you had to get two different sizes. Couldn't your piercer just wash the tool and pierce your second ear? It's not like you can get AIDS from your own blood.

I saw your post on BAF actually. BAF is a unique group of people who constantly share experiences, photos. A lot of people come on on there with their "little blowout" which looks monstrous and is in really bad shape. And then are unwilling to take reasonable advise. So that is a sore spot for them as a group.

It was the part were you told a member she did not know about stretching because her ears were still small so that she didn't have fisthand experience. I have 8g ears so people can say that I don't know what I am talking about, but that would be unfair considering the amount of research I have put into stretching. Listening to your body is critical, I tried to stretch a few days ago, there was too much resistance so I stopped and will try again next month.
mouse2cat

by Evlesoa » Mon Aug 27, 2012 6:24 am

mouse2cat wrote:True, a scar may still be pink but also healed. The trouble is that you really don't want the inside of your fistula to be a scar. The problem with scar tissue is that it is more brittle, less elastic, harder to stretch evenly and more problematic in general. If you are at your goal size then it may not really be an issue. I don't know what your goal size is, so I have no idea.

Right. I agree with that. Wouldn't want the fistula to be a scar. I know scars are tougher skin and harder to do anything with. My goal size is 1 inch, so I'm about 9mm away. Another month and a half, IF my body doesn't start to react unwilling towards my methods.

mouse2cat wrote:Another reason that it is good for you to take breaks between stretches is that by giving your ears a chance to loosen it reduces the pressure and increases blood circulation within your earlobe, good circulation is necessary for healing. That is why everyone says to take plugs out if there is a rip. While you may feel like you are getting good circulation around the thick bottom of the lobe the skin right up against your plug is still really tight. That is also why some people have ears that smell bad.

Also agree on that. I know it causes pressure on the ear and restricts blood flow. I always take out my plugs for a few hours a day, usually before and after showering. Then I put them back in, and they don't have any issue going back. I mean, there's very little resistance. And, unlike some of those people, my ears do not smell bad at all; never had an issue with it, truth be told.

mouse2cat wrote:About the dermal punch. I was confused about large gauge piercing needles as well and apparently they cut a little crescent moon shape in your ear which looks totally fine with earrings in, sometimes when you see the naked ears the hole looks more like a line than a circle but that is the only difference. Whereas a dermal punch actually removes an entire circle of tissue. Generally the punches are more for a large gauge cartilage piercing. I am not entirely clear why you had to get two different sizes. Couldn't your piercer just wash the tool and pierce your second ear? It's not like you can get AIDS from your own blood.

So... what happens to the amount of skin that the needle is pushing outwards around the body of itself? I mean, something must happen. We're not talking about a small hole. My personal guess, is that the needle forces the skin to open at the weakest point (vertically) which is why it causes the skin to look like a cut rather than a circle. (The skin opens at each end, like a ziplock bag, and accommodates the size for the needle. Basically, you're ripping your ear.) As for the reason why I couldn't get it dermal punched at same size was because the procedure was... a little more than what I had on hand. Each of my dermals cost me $60 each, and carrying only $100, I did one punch at 4g. So, I either had to wait a week (I came back to the place a couple days later to do my other side), or just do it and get it over with. I lived in NYC, so I'm not sure what dermals cost anywhere else.

mouse2cat wrote:I saw your post on BAF actually. BAF is a unique group of people who constantly share experiences, photos. A lot of people come on on there with their "little blowout" which looks monstrous and is in really bad shape. And then are unwilling to take reasonable advise. So that is a sore spot for them as a group.

BAF people come off as rude. I mean, it seems they enjoy picking arguments. It's not about taking advice, it's about how the advice is given. Y'know? I can see it's a sore spot for them though. Their responses were... extremely aggressive.

mouse2cat wrote:It was the part were you told a member she did not know about stretching because her ears were still small so that she didn't have fisthand experience. I have 8g ears so people can say that I don't know what I am talking about, but that would be unfair considering the amount of research I have put into stretching. Listening to your body is critical, I tried to stretch a few days ago, there was too much resistance so I stopped and will try again next month.

Well, think about it. Someone who has friends who have stretched for many years, and is going through large sizes should know more than the person stuck at 6g. This is not to say that they are clueless, but you can't apply the same logic you applied at 6g, when you are at 5/8ths. At 6g, you can shove a taper through to get to 4g. No problem. At 5/8ths, trying to shove in the next gauge would cause your ear to pop open like a can of beer. Certainly what you do at 6g is different than what you do at 1/2 inch or higher. That is why I rather not take advice from someone who is a baby in their stretching process. I didn't mean to insult allie, but it's rather insulting to me that she said "explain to me how you are GROWING lobe" and then tells me my pictures are not proof. Well, so if you're not growing lobe, why do they say that when it comes to repairing your ear lobe (stitching it up), the "extra tissue" is removed entirely? Take a look, do a search on this page for "extra tissue" and you'll see: http://www.americanhealthandbeauty.com/ ... e-repaired

Anyway, I too, have done my research. And I know you have, and I believe you. If you believe what you are doing fits you, and you believe that what you are doing is correct for you, by all means--go for it. No one can say otherwise. Unlike your ears, mine can stretch without having any detrimental side effects (like bleeding or pain). Your ears may need more time, or less, depending on their elasticity. Maybe they are just as elastic, but take longer to adjust to jewelry or whatever. In fact, according to BAF, you're an idiot because you are waiting a month and not 6-8 weeks. But hey, all I stand for is: do what your body says. Not what others say. No one knows you better than you do ;)
Evlesoa

by mouse2cat » Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:25 pm

Thank you for your reply. I didn't expect a paragraph by paragraph breakdown. :D

Honestly I am not 100% on the physics of the gauge needle. It was explained to me very enthusiastically on this forum somewhere. I think at the smaller sizes say getting punched at 6g and lower, any strangely shaped hole is less noticeable. But as a girl I have had my ears pierced forever so my interest was more scholarly lol.

As for my the month I mentioned I am waiting an extra month... making it a total 3 month wait. I couldn't even get one layer of tape to go in there.

The only counter argument I would make is that people who are at the large sizes SHOULD know more, but often that is not the case. You can get pretty big with ugly unhappy lobes before the damage is so severe that you actually rip your lobes. And yes people are more likely to get away with poor stretching practices at the small sizes without ripping their ears in half. But healthy stretching practices apply to all sizes. (and then these people with terribly unhealthy lobes share their "techniques" with their friends)

As for growing new tissue. Yes, as I understood it, you do actually grow new tissue in the form of collagen. Not very much and not very fast but if you didn't your large stretched ear would just look like a tight rubber band and you wouldn't be able to retain any thickness. (eew) But hey if I just wanted to do my own thing without learning about it from a community I wouldn't be here on the forums.

After about um... 6 months of research on ear stretching. I feel like I can talk about what I have seen. What other people have gone though and what they have said about it, and documented. I wouldn't be able to write a dissertation on second hand information but for helping people who honestly don't know what they are doing. It is just dandy. If they want to think less of my opinion for my 8g ears then fuck em.

A lot of people are out of touch with their bodies and they don't know the first thing about listening. So just make sure you approach your body with an open mind and not a set plan on what you think it should be able to do. Feel it out carefully. And add a healthy dose of caution.
mouse2cat

by corazon_de_oro » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:24 pm

I have to admit I didn't read every word in this thread but I just have a couple things to say about the needle vs. dermal punch thing. A piercing needle is extremely sharp and cuts the tissue with minimal trauma. It's pretty much just cut and pushed off to the side, which is very safe. My lobes were pierced with 10G (2.4mm) needles. My holes aren't crescent-shaped or anything but I guess they are slightly more oval-shaped than people who had their ears pierced with guns or punched. Punches are meant for things like cartilage that can't be stretched easily. There's really no reason to punch soft tissue like lobes and remove tissue that can be easily stretched.

Also, about the plugs falling out of your ears, are you wearing o-rings or anything to keep them in place? If you're not, that's why they're falling out. It's not because they're ready to stretch.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by Evlesoa » Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:31 pm

mouse2cat wrote:Thank you for your reply. I didn't expect a paragraph by paragraph breakdown. :D

You're welcome. I only do that because it's not only easier to read, but also easier for me to know what I'm replying to.

mouse2cat wrote:I think at the smaller sizes say getting punched at 6g and lower, any strangely shaped hole is less noticeable. But as a girl I have had my ears pierced forever so my interest was more scholarly lol.

So, if I understand correctly, you are saying that dermal punch compared to needle would be less obvious, since a needle pushes skin aside and causes an oval-looking hole? I think this is the case, otherwise if you stretch an oval looking hole, it would certainly be that way no matter what size you are at.
Why scholarly, I'm curious?

mouse2cat wrote:As for my the month I mentioned I am waiting an extra month... making it a total 3 month wait. I couldn't even get one layer of tape to go in there.

Ah, not even a layer? I bet if you had my tape, you could. The PTFE tape I use is very different. Non-adhesive, as well. In fact, this tape doesn't dry your ear because it doesn't absorb any liquids. The white PTFE stuff is yucky. Maybe that's why I'm able to stretch quickly.

mouse2cat wrote:The only counter argument I would make is that people who are at the large sizes SHOULD know more, but often that is not the case. You can get pretty big with ugly unhappy lobes before the damage is so severe that you actually rip your lobes. And yes people are more likely to get away with poor stretching practices at the small sizes without ripping their ears in half. But healthy stretching practices apply to all sizes. (and then these people with terribly unhealthy lobes share their "techniques" with their friends).

Agreed. They SHOULD know, but obviously if they are careless and got away at smaller sizes, they see that their efforts won't come to fruition at higher gauges--they just ruin their ears. That makes sense why those at larger sizes end up fucking their ears up, lol. Right now, I'm waiting for my scratch on the near-fistula to heal. Takes a while because it's constantly in contact with the metal / ptfe tape. I hope it goes away and heals fast, or else I'll be stuck at this size for some time. I put one layer of tape. Going really slowly, so as to not irritate. Not sure what to do to speed up the healing.

mouse2cat wrote:As for growing new tissue. Yes, as I understood it, you do actually grow new tissue in the form of collagen. Not very much and not very fast but if you didn't your large stretched ear would just look like a tight rubber band and you wouldn't be able to retain any thickness. (eew) But hey if I just wanted to do my own thing without learning about it from a community I wouldn't be here on the forums.

Right. Exactly what I was trying to say, but was ignored *sniff*
I too, hoped to learn something. That's why I'm here! We're here for the same reason. I just don't want to be PUSHED opinions.

mouse2cat wrote:After about um... 6 months of research on ear stretching. I feel like I can talk about what I have seen. What other people have gone though and what they have said about it, and documented. I wouldn't be able to write a dissertation on second hand information but for helping people who honestly don't know what they are doing. It is just dandy. If they want to think less of my opinion for my 8g ears then fuck em.

Haha, yes. Me too, I've researched for several months BEFORE even getting dermal punched. That was about 6 months ago as well. It's all good. If people think you're wrong, let them, but that doesn't mean you're wrong for what applies to you; they don't know that though.

mouse2cat wrote:A lot of people are out of touch with their bodies and they don't know the first thing about listening. So just make sure you approach your body with an open mind and not a set plan on what you think it should be able to do. Feel it out carefully. And add a healthy dose of caution.

Agreed, again. People only listen to what they want to hear.

corazon_de_oro wrote:I have to admit I didn't read every word in this thread but I just have a couple things to say about the needle vs. dermal punch thing. A piercing needle is extremely sharp and cuts the tissue with minimal trauma. It's pretty much just cut and pushed off to the side, which is very safe. My lobes were pierced with 10G (2.4mm) needles. My holes aren't crescent-shaped or anything but I guess they are slightly more oval-shaped than people who had their ears pierced with guns or punched. Punches are meant for things like cartilage that can't be stretched easily. There's really no reason to punch soft tissue like lobes and remove tissue that can be easily stretched.

Oh really? Your ears are oval shaped like mine, even though getting the needle? I agree with you that there's no reason to punch out tissue. I don't regret it, as I've said, but if I really knew that, I would of taken a different choice. What's done now is done, and not really anything I'm concerned about. But I agree with you. I should of, if I could of known it beforehand. Oh well.

corazon_de_oro wrote:Also, about the plugs falling out of your ears, are you wearing o-rings or anything to keep them in place? If you're not, that's why they're falling out. It's not because they're ready to stretch.

Well, the tape is 1cm wide, and covers any chance I have to put in an O-ring (after all, the plug itself only has a contact patch of 1cm wide). I've tried it, and even if it stays in, the flare actually ends up sinking into my ear lobe and I have to like pull it out the other side. So, I've given up on that and just keep the plug without the O-ring.

ALSO, there might be a little chemistry going on here. When I had my left ear punched out, it barely bled. When I had my right ear punched, it bled like hell. I mean, bled so much that I went dizzy and forgot if I paid for the whole thing. Then I said, I can exchange my money for the bill I gave them, but they said it was all done and I already received my change. I truly felt like an idiot.

I have a lot of blood vessels in my lobe. A lot. I can see them in the fistula itself. My ear is always warm, so I'm thinking I've got better blood flow than some people, coupled with great PTFE tape. If only I could show you what I'm talking about.
Evlesoa

by Evlesoa » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

19mm

Evlesoa

Previous

Return to Ear Stretching Discussion