Jobs with stretched ears?

Discuss all things ear stretching

by corazon_de_oro » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:30 am

What's wrong with making sandwiches at Subway at 16? But as far as I know Subway has a pretty strict tattoo/piercing policy anyway...

Stuff like this is why I don't think young teenagers should have (large) stretched ears. You never know what kind of job/career you'll end up with. I'm almost 21 and I still don't know what I want to do. Even if I did there's no guarantee I'll end up doing that.

When you do permanent things to your body you always have to think about the future.
I'm Lindsay.
I have 1/2" lobes and 11 piercings: left helix x2, both conches, both nostrils, septum, navel, and VCH.
My lobes are small but I know a lot about stretching and how to do it safely, so message me if you have any questions!
corazon_de_oro

by SAmTiNN21 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:51 am

you should try and get a call center job.. i work for comcast in tech support.. my ears are not big but i have plenty of visible tattoos.. neck and arms.. and there is no prob at all.. they want you to be yourself here :D
what up world.. the name is sam
i have 2 g lobes.. on my way to 2 or 0..
i love tattoos have 15. used to have the
tounge peirced took it out..
SAmTiNN21

by ast.riske » Wed Oct 19, 2011 4:50 pm

Finding work at 16 is a challenge anyway. Many places don't want the hassle of dealing with work permits which are a lot of extra paperwork. That said, if you want a job somewhere you have to really wow them. When I was working in retail management, we had a girl working at my store who was 17 and awesome.

Where I'm going with this is, major body mods are going to raise an eyebrow in lots of places. Since you have little to no work experience, it will be difficult to prove to the managers that there is something beyond your stretched ears.

Secondly, when I was in high school, I flipped burgers at McDonald's. I wasn't too proud to work fast food and nobody judged me for where I worked. I actually got respect for holding a job and finishing my senior year with a 3.8 GPA.

I guess all I'm saying is don't be too proud to do some kind of work or other. It will be worthwhile in the end and it will show future employers that you're as good or better than the other applicants. In short, everyone has to start at the bottom.

Side note, I work in an office environment, and though I typically dress in black and dark gray, decorate my office like I am living in an Edgar Alan Poe story and have stretched piercings and tattoos, I am respected for my abilities because people know I can do as much or more than the next guy. I have a long history of working on the web and I am recognized for being very good at what I do.

In the long run it's less about what you look like and more about what you are capable of.
Battle not with monsters lest ye become a monster; and if you gaze into the abyss the abyss gazes into you.
-Fredrick Nietzsche

Pericings:
2g Lobes
6g Septum

Want:
Frenulum Linguae
Left inner conch
Right helix
ast.riske

by Corylikestogauge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:26 pm

[quote="corazon_de_oro"]What's wrong with making sandwiches at Subway at 16? But as far as I know Subway has a pretty strict tattoo/piercing policy anyway...

Correct on the first part. But I work at subway at 16, and my lobes are almost an inch and I have a tattoo. So your wrong unfortunately on that. It all depends on the manager more than the job. So good luck!
Piercings:
5/8 taping method ears.
Lip ring 16g.

Tattoos:
Shoulder piece.

Goals:
Ear size, 1".
Corylikestogauge

by ViolentJayne » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:07 pm

its weird around here we have 2 wal marts one is very strict dress code , no crazy hair and no visible Tattoos or piercings etc... and the other one is very relaxed the employees have piercings and Tattoos and bright blue hair ... alot of times its the general manager that makes the rule ... good luck finding work tho its never easy looking for a job even if you have no mods at all
4ga lobes ,14ga 2nd hole lobes. 14ga tounge
full sleeve and 7 other Tattoos

SHE'S ALWAYS NICE
AND GIVES ADVICE
WHEN WE DONT HAVE A CLUE
SHE NEEDS NO HELP
FROM YOU
ViolentJayne

by ortiz_2010 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 6:05 am

go to this site it will tell all the places that will hire people with body mods.

http://www.modifiedmind.com/employline.html
ortiz_2010

by Ouroboron » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:06 am

TBH, I think that it's possible to get a job at most places with visible modifications--you just have to prove yourself to be an invaluable asset to the company. Dress very nicely to the interviews and carry yourself with an unmatched sense of professionalism.

At the ripe age of ___, I currently work for a large retail store (which I cannot name).Being tech support and the tech saleswoman who also doubles as customer service in an extremely conservative state, I tend to work with extremely conservative old people ALL OF THE TIME (seriously though, that is every customer that has ever walked through the door). I've actually had my managers mention my modifications but continue on to compliment them and say that because of my professional demeanor, they hadn't even noticed nor they cared at that point-- mind you that they've turned people down because of modifications before.

So my advice to you is to put yourself out there as an employee who hiring managers WANT. Chances are likely for some companies, if you make yourself appear as valuable and professional as possible, it won't even matter to them what modifications you DO have.

Edit: At least I've seen this in my experience.
Try looking towards small businesses whose owners you're able to meet in person. Some larger companies might be stingy about it, even if I've seen plenty of exceptions.
Ouroboron

by Winter Hope311 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:29 pm

[color=#FF40BF]I am a paralegal in a prestigous law firm in downtown New Orleans and I wear my plugs to work daily (I also have my nose and tongue pierced, and several visible tattoos). My plugs are 8g, so they are pretty small, but still not the norm in my line of work. When interviewing, and during my first few weeks of work, I wore my hair so that it covered my ears. After several weeks of showing my work ethic and abilities, my employers started to value me and find me as irreplaceable. If you work hard, treat your co-workers and superiors with respect and value your work, the possibilities are not as limited as you may think with body mods.[/color]
Winter Hope
26 years old

HAVE:
6g lobes
left nostril
tongue
navel
19 tattoos

WANT:
0g lobes
1 tattoo finished
1 cover-up
3 pending tattoos

RETIRED:
both nipples
Winter Hope311

by Aoric » Wed May 16, 2012 10:05 pm

They will either see past the mods, and see the real value you can add to the company, or just sit there wondering what things laying around their office can fit through the holes in your ears.

It really does come down to the stores though (if you're looking retail). Like someone else said, and it's the same where I live, one of the Walmarts has employees with piercings and colored hair. Hell, the one manager has a fire red mohawk. But then some other locations are a little more strict. Same thing can go for a Subway, or McDonalds. To which I would like to add, that at your age, it's not a terrible thing to work at a fast food chain. A lot of employers see McDonalds on your resume and see that as you're a great team player.

In the end, there's always going to be those shitty jobs, and you just go in, do your job, get out, and keep your eyes open for something better.
Piercings: 9/16" first lobe, second and third lobes, 3 right helix, 3 left helix, left nostril, septum, medusa, 3 tongue
Retired: 4 nipple, chest microdermal, 2 hip microdermal, belly ring
Aoric

by amanda86 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:42 pm

HEY all i work for b&q in uk. The not bothered about my dreadlocks, tattoo's or my piercings, only deal i made was to take lip ring out and wear white and clear plugs for work
Lobes
10mm lobes first hole left and right

5mm lobes second and third holes

Plus other piercings

lip
nose
navel
Cartilage upper left

Tattoo:

left upper are
right upper arm
amanda86